Monday 18 May 2009

Life in Australia's Convict Female Factories



An estimated one in five Australians has an ancestor who spent time in a convict female factory, but very little material survives from these women. Their contribution has been largely ignored, yet they are the ‘mothers of the nation’ – women with grit who survived the dire conditions of late 18th and early 19th century colonial Australia.


Our Mary Ann Jones nee Sullivan c.1806-?, spent time here and it would be absolutely fascinating to visit this exhibition.  Oh at times like this wish I was still living in NSW!  Maybe I need to go home...


If you're in Sydney this is a must see exhibition!

2 comments:

  1. I would be thrilled if you would like to take part in my Memorial to ALL convict women transported to Australia - Roses from the Heart(tm).

    To be involved look at my website and email me on cjhenri.com.au

    When the Exhibition 'Women transported' was opened at the Parramatta Heritage Centre, my work was included and also exhibited alongside the exhibition.

    Kind regards,

    Christina Henri

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email is cjhenri@gmail.com

    My website is www.christinahenri.com.au

    My memorial - Roses from the Heart(tm) pays tribute to the social and economic worth of ALL convict women transported to Australia

    You are invited to take part. Please contact Christina Henri

    ReplyDelete