Saturday 19 January 2008

Blogging and Social Networking

Following on from my first post I have continued my foray into social networking and blogging. Boy hasn't it been a journey!

So far I have jumped into facebook and linkedin, I have even learned about feedburner and rss which always seemed so difficult to me previously, but I believe I have it now, kinda easy actually when you take the time to read the actual tutorials instead of skimming over them.

One thing that struck me, there really does seem to be the same set of people who move around and into "social networking" scenes, each time I joined and then entered my address book it was the same people over and over again that kept popping up. Although I must say I ran across 3 cousins, 1 really grown up and that made me feel even older than my years as the last time I saw him he was a teenager ;) and now he's 23 (well almost). Now this aspect is a genealogists dream to re-connect to people so that is all GOOD. I also came across a couple of fellow researchers that I have been too busy to contact, the opportunity to renew those links is great as well.

While researching about blogging I came across an interesting article by Gerard McGarry about "Nobody Links Out Anymore" which I found at digg, being a fellow drupal watcher I found it interesting, maybe you will find it helpful too?

Well that seems to be a lot about nothing, but I have to get into the groove somehow and it's also reminding me to reference, reference and reference - I hear the echo of my teacher at TAFE there! That is something we family researchers should be doing with every breath we breathe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rhonda

    This comment won't fit on this post. Still, you will get the email notification!

    I have started putting up a series of posts on the NEH blog that you may find interesting in terms of background information. Start with this post -http://newenglandhistory.blogspot.com/2008/02/new-englands-aboriginal-languages.html. It will give you a map of the Aboriginal languages.

    Then go to this post - http://newenglandhistory.blogspot.com/2008/01/high-lean-county-story-of-new-england.html. If you click through on the link, you will find a fair bit on the book about New England's aborigines including stuff talking about the Macleay.

    The browse as you heart takes you, recognising that it will take me some time to get all posts up.

    ReplyDelete